Blaugust is finally here, and that means it’s time to start working on my personal Gamer To-Do list. I outlined the concept in my introductory post, but I will reiterate the guidelines I’m following:
- Don’t add new items to the list until a previous item is removed.
- Try to write about something that gets checked off the list as soon as you complete it so details are fresh in your mind.
- Make your to-do list a reasonable size. I found a list around ten items in length is a nice round number. It also keeps you focused on core games.
- Keep your entries semi-specific. “Leveling to 80″ is a long term goal (unless you’re close). “Clearing this zone” is more reasonable, and completable within the month (though this concept can carry on beyond Blaugust).
Next, let’s see how the list has changed in the few days since I brought the idea up (emphasis on changes made):
- Diablo III – check out new content when patch drops (on hold)
- ESO – level my templar to 15 and try out pvp again
(overall goal, determine main)(currently level 12. Enjoy Templar enough to take to cap, still need to play more PvP)
- Hearthstone –
maybe play again to open adventures and other cards to prepare for next expackUPDATE – Disenchated with the game. Removal from list
- League of Legends – get Silver in ranked. MAYBE Finish Bilgewater activities (I find the mode unsatisfying)
- EQ2 – work through expansion Chains of Eternity
(immediate goal, long term is to see level cap + all current content)(nearly halfway through Eidolon Jungle)
- GW2 – determine main, then level to 80. (sort of on the backburner again, as ESO and EQ2 have been enjoyable)
- Skyforge –
determine status (do I want to play it or not?)-UPDATE not interested enough to keep it around. Uninstalled.
- Early Access – continue to watch and expriment with titles like H1Z1, Darkest Dungeon, Ark, Nuclear Throne, Basement, The Forest (work in progress)
- Dirty Bomb/Counter Strike GO – continue to level accounts (with the caveat that I’m also playing CSGO on PS3 with Chris, trying to earn Platinum Trophy)
- Zombies Monsters Robots –
check out new content(checked out the new content, not overly impressed, lower population than when I used to play, removal from list)
- Crusader Kings II – learn the game
- Borderlands The Pre-Sequel – play this game already
When I wrote down my initial pre-Blaugust list it included some items that aren’t available to play just yet, or were games I just randomly decided to add. There is no reason a To-Do list needs to be set in stone though, as truth be told, if I put my entire backlog on my list, I’d never accomplish anything. The purpose here was to only pick a few short term goals so that you can make some headway into that MMO or beating those games or achieving your desired rank. With that said, I’m introducing the “Free Agents” section, which are some other short term goals that aren’t a part of your main list, but can be used in place of another item. Let me give you an example of how this would be used.
Here are some of my Free Agent listings:
Project Gorgon – check it out
Give Card Hunter a go again
Play these games already!
Divinity Original Sin
So looking at how my list could change, I decided Diablo III doesn’t need to be there. I also cleared up my thoughts about whether or not I really wanted to invest time into games like Hearthstone and Skyforge. Given my options, and my current state of enjoyment, it is easier to remove games from the list especially if you know you aren’t going to enjoy yourself doing it! The rest of the changes to the list were more tweaks or updates to that current goal. Of course, some games may not come off of the list at all, and some items are going to be harder to check off of the list, which is why I want to stress the fact that this system is meant to be flexible. Don’t be too strict on yourself. Since I was able to do a process of elimination and removed some items from the list, I can now pick up a few of the free agents and make a new version. Sometimes you won’t get blog inspiration from some games, and that’s okay too. I know I’m not going to bother posting about any of the games I just mentioned removing from the list, but I have some material saved up to write about concerning some of the other titles.
I’m looking at adding a trial run of Project Gorgon (it’s installed as of last night) and Card Hunter (I played it when it was just a browser game, but it’s on Steam now). Aside from Borderlands The Pre-Sequel, the other four games above have been calling my name to finish them, so I’m probably going to bounce between them to see which one grabs me first. It’s been a little while since I completed a game, so I’d like to say I did over the course of August.
That’s it for my first update. Look forward to more in-depth posts of what I’ve been doing later in the week. Don’t forget, if you want to get signed up with this whole Blaugust thing, it’s not too late to get started. Click the image below for more information:
#blaugust #blaugust2015 #gamertodolist